Friday 15 January 2010

The noble art of copyright

People have been making coversof famous songs for ages now, and most of them have been unremarkable (the various 400 versions of 'Hallelujah', for example) or just downright awful (My Chemical Romance of Bob Dylan's 'Desolationg row' - dear lord). However, every now and then there comes a cover that is either hilarious in its stupidity, or completely brilliant, and we find ourselves wishing that the original artist had done it like that.

5 Hilarious covers (that make good songs better)

5. Jenny Owen Youngs tries hip hop
Reletively unknown is a woman called Jenny Owen Youngs, who I've quite recently come to really like. She's very much about having fun with her music, and I'm pretty sure she had tons of it when someone suggested she do a cover of Nelly's 'Hot in Herre' - a song that couldn't be further from her usual style



The video is also amazing, although the dancing sasquatch gets a little bit creepy soon enough.

4. Alanis Morisette tries sexy
So we all know Alanis Morisette as a bizzarre, buddhist nutcase who's music has ranged from outside the box to out of her fucking mind. I'll admit I kinda likes her first couple of albums, but things went seriously downhill from there. Now in an attempt at...actually I have no idea why she did this, but I do know it's amazing. Anyone who doubted Alanis could be a sex icon was mistaken. Whether this is a joke or not (I'm pretty sure it is) just the fact she was willing to do this in the first place makes me respect her more. Here is Alanis Morisette and her cover of Fergies 'My Humps'

Honestly that video is hilarious

3. Random Youtuber tries Billy Idol
Anyone who knows the song 'White Wedding' should appreciate this one. In fact even those who have never heard this song before can admit that this video is fantastic. They've basically taken the original video and changed the words to fit literally with the video. It's been tried with a few songs with varying levels of hilarity and depression, but this one is by far the best example of outright taking the piss out of a musician and his music.



2. Mstaken try video response
I can guarentee you've never heard of Mstaken. Well that doesn't matter, because all you need to know is that they decided to take on that legendary song by Lonely Island 'Jizz in my pants'. As a kind of musical comeback, these girls have created a girls version of the song, and I have to say, they've done pretty damn good job.




Extra marks for facial expression that rival even the jizz faces in the original

1. Arctic Monkeys try to keep a straight face
So this is Arctic Monkeys covering Girls Aloud and 'Love Machine' and I have to say, even without the hiliarity that is these guys completely cracking up halfway through this song, I actually think this is a great cover. I never thought this could be possible, but hey, stranger things have happened

0 comments: